“Invest in one of these reliable underwater headphones to keep up your aquatic adventures with some refreshing music”
As a swimmer, you know how important it is to wear a good pair of waterproof headphones while swimming to enjoy listening to music/tunes. The swimmer’s headphones are designed with a hydrophobic coating to sustain underwater activities’ rigors and deliver exceptional quality sound. Besides durability, these headphones offer long battery life, great sound quality, Bluetooth connectivity, an inbuild MP3 player, and superior waterproofing.
It can be a daunting task to find the best headphones for swimming due to the availability of plenty of options in the market. To help you in making an informed buying decision, we have rounded up the best waterproof headphones for swimming (ranging from high-end options to budget-friendly models) that elevate your aquatic workouts.
So, without any further ado, let’s dive into the details of the “Buyer Guide” and the Best Waterproof Headphones for Swimming.
Best Waterproof Headphones for Swimming Chart
Best Waterproof Headphones for Swimming Reviews
1. SHOKZ Waterproof Headphones – Best Overall
We will begin our list of products from a well-known brand SHOKZ. Their OpenSwim Swimming Headphones have an open-ear design with 7th-generation bone conduction technology that offers a secure fit and comfortable wear to listen to your favorite music all day without any distractions/interference.
- It is designed to withstand all the elements and can be used widely for swimming, running, or cycling.
- They deliver excellent sound quality both above and underwater, thanks to their PremiumPitch 2.0 stereo sound. When you go underwater, the sound and bass are impressive.
- The fully waterproof and submersible IP68 rating allows you to take these headphones anywhere to the pool/beach and enjoy your swimming in or out of the water (up to 2 meters deep for 2 hours).
- With its 4GB memory of inbuilt MP3 storage, you can easily store up to 1200 songs on the device and enjoy them while you train harder without worrying about any devices, or cords/wires.
- Featuring a comfortable under-swim cap fit, 8 hours of battery life, and easy commands (play, pause, skip, or change track), this OpenSwim pair of headphones allows for extended listening sessions.
- They support MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, and FLAC files for device-free listening to your favorite music track as desired without any Bluetooth connectivity.
- Its wraparound titanium frame will offer a secure fit to keep the headphones stable while flip turns or laps.
The SHOKZ OpenSwim Swimming Headphones offer the best underwater listening experience that lets you enjoy a completely wireless music listening experience. However, it is a bit disappointing that these headphones won’t offer Bluetooth streaming. Yet in terms of comfort, sound quality, battery life, and price, these swimming headphones are simply marvelous.
2. Relxhome Waterproof Headphones – Best Bluetooth Bone Conduction
Relxhome X7S Bluetooth swimming headphones are simple, cool, and the most popular swimming headphones on the market that are preferred by those who are highly advanced tech, swimming monsters, and sportspersons. Its open-ear design will allow the user to wear them comfortably for a long time.
- These on-ear headphones are designed to use especially for swimmers wearing swim goggles and a swim cap simultaneously.
- The cutting-edge bone conduction technology will transmit the sound of headphones to the inner ear by vibrating the skull bones. Its open-ear design lets you listen to music while alerting to your surroundings.
- With its IPX8 waterproof rating, these X7S headphones are the perfect option to use for swimming, sports, and snorkeling (up to 2 meters deep for 3 hours).
- The built-in latest Bluetooth 5.3 chip will enhance the communication distance, speed, and stability for up to 15 meters without any distortion or latency rate.
- Comprising a large built-in 200mAh battery, the headphones can last for around 8 hours of continuous music listening all day. Also, they come with a wireless charging case that provides charging quickly with its 7 days standby time.
- Featuring 32GB of built-in memory, the headphones allow you to store up to 8000 music files to make you enjoy your favorite music. And it supports various audio files, including MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, and FLAC to listen to the audio without any equipment.
- Since they are designed to use underwater, the headphones have a special nano-coating waterproof seal to keep them completely waterproof.
- The MP3-compatible device allows its user to listen to a variety of their favorite tunes while swimming or during any workout sessions.
- They offer a comfortable adjustable headband to deliver a snug fit, especially when wet. Thus, it makes the next swimming activity even more enjoyable.
So, whether you are an athletic swimmer or fitness freak preferring swimming as your workout, then the Relxhome X7S Bluetooth swimming headphones are the best option. They deliver the best sound quality, decent battery life, lighter & comfortable on-ear design, and noise cancellation feature. However, its clunky buttons, charging issues, and cheap case are some drawbacks stated by most users.
3. JBL Waterproof Headphones – Best Budget-Friendly
- The wireless Bluetooth technology allows you to stream high-quality music everywhere without messy cords/wires.
- The FlexSoft and TwistLock technologies will design the headphones to be lighter, durable, and ensure stable and comfortable wear, irrespective of your workout.
- Also, the volume control, music control, and phone control functions are pretty easy and appreciable.
- With its PowerHook (ear hook) design, the headphones will fit securely and turn the power on/off automatically whenever you put or take off the earphones.
- Featuring a PowerHook design, the headphones turn on automatically upon placing them on, and its TwistLock ear tip design will ensure a stable and secure fitting without hurting or falling out of the ears.
- With its IPX7 waterproof feature, these headphones are designed to be used in all weather or sports conditions. They come with durable silicone protective pouch to last longer by withstanding all those elements.
- The long battery life will allow you to enjoy the music uninterruptedly for around 8 hours. The speed charge feature will charge the battery within 10 minutes to enjoy another hour of playback time.
- Manage calls and music easily with its touch controls that let you control the play, pause, volume, and track orders with its simple touch.
- The Bluetooth connectivity enables hands-free calling and makes its users focus on the workout without searching or reaching for the device/phone.
Looking for affordable swimming headphones that offer excellent sound quality, then this JBL Endurance Jump Waterproof Wireless Sports in-ear Headphones. They are comfortable, easy to use, and durable option. However, lacks bass quality and its IPX7 rating makes it a bit less waterproof compared to other models in our list.
4. Hamuti Waterproof Headphones – Best Sports Headphones
The Hamuti bone conduction earphones are the perfect option when you are looking for headphones to use outdoors. They are designed to hear the music along with the surroundings to keep the user safe and aware while performing outdoor workouts or swimming.
- The open-ear design with bone-conduction technology uses vibrations for sound transmitting sound via cheekbones, thanks to its inner waterproof Bluetooth.
- The wraparound titanium frame and ultra-light design of this headset make it easy to operate, durable, and stable.
- Equipped with an advanced Bluetooth 5.0 chip and 32GB inbuilt memory, the headphones allow you to enjoy the music/audio efficiently for a long session.
- The built-in battery provides 6 – 8 hours of continuous playback upon a single charge to listen to music all day long.
- The IP68 waterproof construction of these headphones will offer resistance to moisture, sweat, and dust, allowing you to use them underwater to listen to your downloaded songs via MP3 mode.
- Its easy-to-control features allow you to turn up/down the volume, and play/pause the music.
The Hamuti Bone Conduction Headphones can be used for various indoor and outdoor scenes, making them perfect for travel, fitness, running, or swimming. Even though they deliver lossless sound quality, long battery life, 32GB memory, and IP68 waterproof feature. However, it offers lesser battery life than other models.
5. H2O Audio Waterproof Headphones – Best Wide Compatible MP3 Player
- With an integrated clip design, the headphones are attached easily to swim goggles and experience your favorite tunes without any sound isolation.
- Featuring bone conduction technology, the headphones directly send the sound to the inner ear to listen to your podcasts or music without jamming the ears. They open your ears to any pool announcements or call the names.
- The IPX8 waterproof feature of the Sonar swimming headphones allows you to use them outdoors, in pools, or in water sports (surfing/swimming) that can be submerged up to 3.6m for 3 – 5 hours.
- Its latest Bluetooth connectivity allows the headphone to connect to any Bluetooth-enabled device for wireless listening to music/audio.
- The 8 GB of internal memory will allow the headphones to hold over 2000 songs capacity or 60 hours of playback time for clear & sheer entertainment.
- Stream music, podcasts, or audiobooks from your smartwatch via Bluetooth. Then ensure the smartwatch gets attached to the swim goggles using an integrated clip design.
- The built-in MP3 player lets you upload your favorite songs and enjoy comfortable swimming laps for hours.
- These headphones let you connect seamlessly with Android and iOS devices, making iTunes compatible to enjoy listening to your favorite music.
- The inbuilt large, rechargeable battery offers 7 hours of continuous playback upon a single full charge.
The H2O Audio Sonar Headphones with Bluetooth and MP3 and bone-conduction design deliver a great audio performance with decent battery life. However, the charging issue and Windows compatibility is the main drawback faced by most of its users.
6. Ray-JrMALL Waterproof Headphones – Best Headphones with Long Battery Life & Flexible Fit
The last product on our list is from Ray-JrMALL. Their X9-Pro wireless headphones have the latest patented technology that can be switched between air conduction, bone conduction, and in-ear type as required to deliver a superior audio experience.
- The 3-in-1 design of these headphones can easily meet the requirements of various people in multiple scenarios – Bone conduction lets you hear the surrounding sound along with music listening, air conduction ensures safety for ears even when enjoying music for a long time, and the in-ear style isolate the outside sound and let you hear better in noisy areas.
- The IPX8 professional deep waterproof will make it widely used for swimming, snorkeling, surfing, and other sports.
- Bone conduction is used for deep waterproofing unlike the other two forms, yet not continuously for more than 6 hours.
- With its 32GB built-in MP3 player, you can easily store more than 8000 songs, and its Bluetooth & dual playback modes allow you to enjoy music everywhere.
- The advanced Bluetooth 5.3 technology offers better transmission speed and connection distance (works only outside the water, switch to an MP3 player to work underwater).
- The built-in double silicon wheat high-sensitivity microphone and CVC intelligent call noise reduction will deliver HD clear call experience.
- The durable high-strength titanium alloy makes the earphones light, folded, flexible (360-degree bending), or stretched to offer the utmost comfort.
- The high-capacity, rechargeable long battery offers a longer playtime of around 12 hours (in bone conduction mode), 18 hours (in air conduction mode), and 20 hours (in-ear conduction mode) upon a single full charge of 2 hours.
The Ray-JrMALL X9-Pro waterproof swimming headphones are the most preferred option due to their easily switchable 3-in-1 design, 32GB internal memory, Bluetooth connectivity, comfortable wear, and long battery life. The sound quality is great and the overall build is good.
Buying Guide for Swimming Headphones
You will end up purchasing the right pair of waterproof headphones for swimming whenever you know the key factors, which distinguish various options and help you make your purchase worthwhile.
Here are the key factors to check while shopping for these swimmers’ headphones.
1. IPX Rating
The ingress protection (IP) rating will indicate the level of protection against dust and water/liquids of a particular object. The first X after IP determines the dust protection, whereas the second X indicates the waterproofing protection. So, it is essential to check the IPX rating of the headphones before making their selection to ensure that they can be used underwater while swimming.
Selecting headphones that offer a higher IPX rating like IPX7 or IPX8 that will sustain the prolonged submersion in water and works properly without damaging the product. However, water-resistant devices come within the IPX rating of IPX3 to IPX7, whereas waterproof devices have rated IPX7 to IPX9K, allowing for full immersion in water.
We recommend you read our IPX Rating article for more information on this waterproof rating.
2. Connectivity Technology – Wired Vs Wireless
Most people prefer Bluetooth connectivity for its effortless and tangle-free wireless headphones, yet have limited Bluetooth range (<10m). While on the other hand, some swimmers choose wired headphones to connect via its 3.5mm jack offering sound fidelity from a strong & stable connection, yet there are some slight compatibility issues.
Irrespective of choosing the proper connectivity type, it is essential to check the compatibility of the headphones with your device that offers a stable connection.
3. Build Quality
The build quality of any product is a crucial factor that must be considered, especially while shopping for waterproof headphones for swimming, as it determines durability, reliability, and longevity.
Since these are waterproof headphones and have to combat corrosion or mineral deposits due to their high alloy content, people prefer to use headphones with high-quality plastic housings or steel housing made for underwater pressure operation. Also, you can find wired models with thick wire insulation and gold-plated output jacks (as protection) for extended underwater usage.
So, choose the models offering reinforced cables, sturdy construction, and high-quality materials to withstand even rough usage.
4. Battery Life
The headphones with a long battery life will allow the swimmer to use them for extended periods in the water, especially those having integrated MP3 players that rely on the batteries. Look for headphones with a minimum of 8 hours battery life and invest in headphones offering a quick charging feature for easy and fast recharging.
Besides the runtime, it is essential to check the proprietary connectors, which should be unique and compatible with any conventional ones. So, choose waterproof headphones with universal connectors.
5. Integrated MP3 Players
Instead of having a separate, standalone waterproof MP3 player for wired headphones, you can go with headphones having integrated MP3 players. In general, the 8GB memory is enough to fit around 2000 tracks, whereas some MP3 players offer expandable storage space with memory card slots. Ensure to look for waterproof headphones that offer controls over playback, power, and volume control to make it easy to operate underwater. Its outstanding built-in MP3 player is another great feature for swimmers that won’t carry a phone or MP3 player during swimming.
Waterproof swimmer headphones are available in different styles, which include over-ear, earbuds/in-ear, and bone-conduction headphones. We suggest you consider the style and pick that one whose style fits you comfortably and securely while swimming.
For instance, choose headphones with Eartips that are made of silicone, rubber, foam, or hybrid materials. Eartip styles have flanged designs, ranging from the standard single flange to the extreme triple flange. Some other styles include fin Eartips that contour your ears for a proper watertight seal, whereas some models enhance the comfort while wearing swim caps.
So, it’s all a matter of preferences where you must try out multiple types and sizes to find the right/perfectly fit ear tip styles.
7. Bone Conduction Headphones
If you are looking to listen to music without causing any blockage to the ear canals, then prefer to choose this Bone Conduction style of headphones. This type of headphone is used widely for swimming, as it transfers the sound using vibrations, and the sound gets transferred from the cheekbones to the ears. This style is quite beneficial for those who are hard to hear, as they won’t rely on the ear cavity to transfer the sound.
Verdict – By considering all these features, you can easily make an informed buying decision about the Best Waterproof headphones for swimming as per your preference.
Swimmers Headphones – FAQs
Ans: Maintaining these waterproof headphones is a bit difficult compared to other types of headphones. For proper maintenance, rinse these headphones in fresh water after every use and dry them properly before storing them. Don’t expose these headphones to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight. Ensure to store them properly in a dry or cool place. Also, it is advised to check the instructions mentioned by the manufacturer to know about its care and maintenance guidelines.
Ans: Usually, no, not all waterproof headphones are perfect for swimming. It depends completely on its IP rating, in which the higher the IPX rating of the headphone, the more resistance it offers to protect the headphone from water level. So, go with headphones with an IPX7 rating or above to ensure they can be submerged in water for their proper functioning. Sometimes Bluetooth headphones deliver a weak signal strength and might fall out if not properly fit.
Ans: Wireless headphones are the most preferred option due to their user convenience that comes without any cable tangles or limitation of cord length. While some swimmers prefer wired options offer better sound quality and secure fitting. So, both connectivity types have their pros and cons, which makes the final decision depends completely on one’s individual opinion, as per their requirement.
Ans: Yes, they can be used even in saltwater. However, it is essential to rinse these headphones with fresh water after their usage to clear any salt residue buildup, or else it might damage the headphones over time. These waterproof headphones won’t work up a torrent of sweat, and Bluetooth won’t penetrate water too far, leading to frequent dropouts and failures.
Ans: A simple technique to make your headphone fit comfortably, and stay securely during swimming is to select headphones with different sizes of ear tips and fins. Or simply prefer headphones with a neckband design or over-ear hook to avoid them from falling off while you are swimming.
Wearing the right pair of waterproof headphones will enhance your listening experience while keeping you focused on the swim. All our top picks for the best waterproof headphones for swimming are durable and waterproof, delivering exceptional sound quality. We have covered all options to meet everyone’s needs and budget. So, stop waiting and choose your best option to make your next swim more enjoyable.
Also, don’t hesitate to share your queries or thoughts with us in the comments section below. We are happy to hear from you and respond promptly.